JESSE ALAN GORDON
Application Scientist, Communications, Marketing, Analysis
History of successful interactions with stakeholders, in both corporate and community contexts; including scientific community; environmental community; corporate R&D; and the general public.
History of successful use of traditional websites and traditional email,
plus social media, eMarketing, eCommunications, and viral marketing.
History of successful publication in mainstream media; and appearances in newspaper articles, radio and television broadcasts.
of Public Policy in Environment and Development, 1994
Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, MA
Focus on communications; applications of technology and science; and
reconciliation between stakeholder needs and policy implementation.
General Science and Biology
Brandeis University, Waltham, MA
Education Minor; focus on biochemistry and computer technology.
Application Scientist, Dotmatics Ltd. 2012 - date
· Present chemoinformatics software at customer sites scientific conferences, and university classrooms.
· Liaison between external researchers and internal developers for bioinformatics software.
· Produced training videos and public videos and articles for website and customer distribution.
· Initiated email system for informing chemists and biologists about Dotmatics.
Director of Software Marketing, PerkinElmer Informatics CambridgeSoft Division 2007 - 2011
· Presented at customer sites (approx. 200), scientific conferences, and university classrooms.
· Liaison between external researchers and internal developers for company’s first biopolymer software.
· Opened new territories for business, including first million-dollar contracts in India and Southeast Asia.
· Produced public videos (approx. 50) and articles (approx. 100) for website and email distribution.
· Analyzed competing products for ChemDraw and related PerkinElmer desktop software products.
Communications Manager, CambridgeSoft Corporation 2004 - 2007
· Designed website and Internet marketing plan for industry leader in chemoinformatics.
· Oversaw Internet-based customer relations; wrote SOPs for outsource staff; and hired staff in India.
· Grew corporate and academic site license business from 50 licenses to 500 licenses.
· Organized emailing and webinars in four languages; added Spanish, Chinese, and Finnish.
· Email and webinars directly credited with closing a dozen deals per year; plus many more indirectly.
Senior Analyst, Perot Systems Government Services 2000 - 2004
For the Massachusetts Watershed Initiative of the
Executive Office of Environmental Affairs:
Researched and published the 5-Year Watershed Action Plan for the North Coastal Watershed.
For the Tucson (Arizona) Water Department and the
Environmental Protection Agency:
Developed tools for public and press to “data mine” the drinking water database. The Tucson project includes several GIS components, fully integrating large-scale databases with high-detail maps.
Communications Director, Reich for Governor Committee 2001 – 2002
· Designed, implemented, and managed staff for major-party gubernatorial campaign web site.
· Managed 30 volunteers in technical fields, Spanish translation, and multigenerational marketing.
· Website and email campaign credited with candidate getting through caucuses and Convention.
Political Website Developer, OnTheIssues.org. 1999 – present
Editor-in-Chief, http://www.issues2000.org and http://www.speakout.com (now OnTheIssues.org)
· Developed an interactive Web site, first via venture capital; then as non-profit; then in syndication.
· Website presents Presidential and Congressional candidates’ views on election issues.
· Managed database of 300,000 citations; published print-on-demand books; supervised staff of 40.
· Monetized website of 25,000 Web pages via paid advertisements; syndication; and book sales.
Environmental Policy Analyst, Buffalo River Stewardship Foundation, Ltd. 1995 – 1996
· Co-founded non-profit organization to protect the Buffalo National River in Arkansas.
· Wrote successful 501(c)(3) application; plus several successful grant proposals.
· Recruited and built a membership base, plus network of government and NGOs.
· Researched environmental, economic and political impacts; published 3 major reports.
Project Leader: Systems Analysis & Implementation, Vantage Group Services, Inc.
(Bulk mail service company providing list management, mailing and tracking services to non-profit organizations.)
· Created and maintained budget, accounting and data management tools for 100,000-member lists.
· Supervised and coordinated two direct reports and trained 25 staff members.
· Secured buy-in from key decision makers; met tight deadlines under pressure.
System Analyst/Revenue Planning Coordinator, Houghton Mifflin Company
· Set up automated system to collect data, control inventory and forecast demand
· Eliminated 640 staff hours per cycle and provided inventory-related process efficiencies.
Management and IT
Management Consultant: NEC Corp., International Purchasing Offices
· Designed and implemented an international procurement/export system.
· Converted from initial satellite communication system to Tokyo, to Internet-based system.
· Drastically slashed ordering time and costs by allowing comparison-shopping.
· Provided computer software consulting to clients in 7 states and 6 countries.
· Computerized more than 25 businesses and wrote custom software solutions.